Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
The Israeli military on Sunday defended IDF Central Command chief Maj.-Gen. Avi Bluth’s controversial decision to uproot a vast number of trees near Al-Mughayir village, north of Ramallah, after days of criticism from Palestinians and human rights advocates.
The move, carried out last Thursday, was described by the IDF as a necessary security measure to increase visibility and allow soldiers to better monitor the Alon Corridor roads, a frequent site of attacks targeting Israeli civilians. The clearance followed a shooting in which a Jewish Israeli civilian was seriously wounded near the Malachi Hashalom area.
Palestinians, however, accused the army of resorting to collective punishment. Haaretz publisher Amos Schocken went so far as to call Bluth a “war criminal,” urging the International Criminal Court (ICC) to intervene.
He cited earlier statements by Bluth suggesting that villages harboring terrorists should “pay the price” for their residents’ actions.
According to the IDF, the decision was not politically motivated but based on urgent operational needs. Military officials said the trees provided cover for terrorists launching attacks, planting improvised explosive devices, and staging ambushes.
The dense vegetation was also linked to frequent rock-throwing incidents, which often went unreported but endangered passing vehicles.
“The removal of these trees was essential to catching those responsible for the recent shooting and preventing future attacks,” an IDF spokesperson said, stressing that the action aimed to protect civilians.
The Al-Mughayir area has been tied to several deadly incidents. In April 2024, a Palestinian terrorist from the village murdered 14-year-old Binyamin Ahimeir.
More recently, in May 2025, terrorists killed 30-year-old mother of three, Tzeela Gez, in a drive-by shooting near Peduel. These incidents, according to military sources, influenced Bluth’s decision to reshape security strategy in the area.
Despite the justification, villagers expressed anger over the sweeping operation. Residents reported that every house in Al-Mughayir was searched, with some alleging ransacking and destruction of property without clear evidence.
Critics noted that in past years, the IDF’s response to repeated terror attacks from one location typically involved temporary closures or mass arrests—not environmental destruction on such a scale.
The policy shift reflects a broader trend in the West Bank, where the IDF has increasingly carried out demolitions and clearances in areas like Jenin, Tulkarm, and Nur al-Shams, seen as strongholds of militant activity.
While these actions have drawn significant international criticism, the army points to what it says is an 85% drop in terror attacks since January 2025, when the strategy was first implemented.
It remains unclear how the ICC and other international legal bodies will assess these new tactics. Until now, most of the Court’s inquiries into Israeli conduct have focused on Gaza.
However, growing calls for scrutiny of West Bank operations may broaden the scope of investigations. For now, the controversy underscores a widening gap between Israel’s security imperatives and global perceptions of its methods in the West Bank.
This article was created using automation technology and was thoroughly edited and fact-checked by one of our editorial staff members